Thursday, October 7, 2010

baby steps...

Happy Friday + Long Weekend!!!

I've managed to avoid the ER for the last 9 days and it's been wonderful.
Things in the land of Nicole have been a bit crazy, but when isn't it?

My neck is almost healed, it's still a bit crunchy, unstable and sore but nothing like it was last week. I'm not using my c-collar as it's painful, which is a good sign. This time around, recovery has been rather quick as the previous neck subluxes took 3 weeks and this time it was about 2 weeks. I think it may be like the rest of my joints in that the first bunch of times I injure something, recovery is a lot more slow. Maybe I don't really recover but somehow learn to adapt.'s coming along...slowly.
I can handle about a meal's worth of food and 2 snacks in a day and that's about it for now. It's a huge improvement from before, when I'd go 24 hours without anything before I realized that I hadn't eaten. Anytime I do eat, I still feel nauseous and gross but at least it stays down. I still sometimes feel dizzy/faint and my heart is a bit funky still. Apparently palpitations and high heart rate are my new normal when I go to bed. I'm also better able to regulate my temperature. There have been major improvements in the fatigue department. I'm no longer dragging myself from bed to the couch and back again, and can almost function like a normal person (who has EDS).

Sleep, it's a work in progress.
The neck sublux and dysautonomia completely threw that off. I have a bit of hard time winding down and getting comfortable enough to fall asleep. It hurts my neck still, my heart goes a little nutso on top of the normal pain that keeps me up. It takes about 1-2hrs to fall asleep and I'm up between 3-5 am for a while. My room mate thinks I've been sleepwalking again as she found crayons in the middle of the living room floor, I say it's house trolls. I found out there's a family history of sleepwalking on both sides of the family. Awesome.

GJ tube is becoming more of a reality and getting closer. After the 3rd ER visit I called them again and asked if there was a way to get it bumped up. Well 8 days after, I've got a consult with the anesthesiologist. Kind of terrified that they won't know what to do with me, or will not take this EDS/autonomic stuff seriously and mess up (because it's happened). But am very excited to be able to push anything that tastes gross through the tube, along with avoiding pneumonia from aspirating. How cool would that be?!

I ran across this stat in last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy and did a little research. The odds of getting struck by lightening is 1/6,250 and the odds of having EDS III 1/5,000-20,000. I should start playing the lottery.

I'll have my new legs (AFO's) in T-5 more sleeps, and am going to see the Dalai Lama in 15 more sleeps! Take that negativity!!

"Duct tape is like the Force, it has a dark side, it has a light side and it holds the universe together."

No comments:

Post a Comment